Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Penne with Chicken, Lemon, and Feta

After I came home from the gym tonight, I was starving and wanted something hearty but not heavy. But, after a busy weekend I had not had a moment to go grocery shopping, and didn't have much to work with. In my fridge, I noted a single lemon and a hardly used chunk of light feta cheese. Feta and lemon is a quintessentially Mediterranean combination that is hard not to like. I was also craving meat, probably for protein after a good work out, and luckily Ken had just restocked our freezer with boneless skinless chicken breasts.

I made up this quick sauce of lemon and garlic, similar to a piccata, and it worked very well. The sauteed chicken added the heartiness I desired, and the juice of a whole lemon made the sauce just tart enough over penne pasta. I only wish I'd had some sort of herb available - a dusting of basil or parsley would be just the finish the dish needs. I used a bit of pasta water, which helped the sauce thicken up once the pasta was added. I also think this sauce would be just as tasty with Parmesan cheese instead of feta - whatever your personal tastes are.

Penne with Chicken, Lemon, and Feta
(serves 2)

1/2 lb. penne pasta
1 large clove garlic, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup basil, chopped

Cook pasta in lots of boiling, salted water until al dente. Heat olive oil to medium and add garlic. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add chicken, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and saute until chicken is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. When chicken is just starting to brown, add juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 cup of the hot pasta water. Turn the heat to medium-high and simmer for 2 minutes. Add pasta, feta, basil, and toss with sauce, allowing pasta to sit in the pan with burner turned off for about 2 minutes. Serve warm in shallow bowls.

3 comments:

  1. So you are creating your own recipes now...just like Mom...I wish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely! I'm going to try it with leftover roasted chicken and throw in some halved grape tomatoes from my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, this definitely goes on the "must try" list.

    ReplyDelete